Domesticating IT is my solo consulting and web design business, and also serves as my professional blog (be sure to subscribe). Since its main thrust is to serve as a blog platform, the site is built on the WordPress platform.
ASP.NET development consulting contract from January, 2008 through April, 2008
This consulting project involved the development of a custom web server control suite for global ASP.NET web site in order to display language-specific pages to users for HP Partner Program. The localization is stored in the database (not resource files) and are dynamically configured in-place via a control panel that is displayed for users with appropriate security credentials.
ASP.NET development consulting contract in September, 2007
Developed automated marketing collateral generator for HP Partner Program that incorporated partners’ contact information, solution description, and logo into dynamically created PDF, PowerPoint, and HTML files that could be downloaded on demand and immediately incorporated into marketing campaigns. Developed in ASP.NET using VB.NET 2005, SQL Server 2005, Aspose Slides, and Dynamic PDF Generator by ceTe.
Bridge-Soft client;VB, VB.NET and SQL Server consulting contract in from June, 1999 – September, 2005
The original development of QMS occurred through a contract with specialty chemical manufacturer Shipley Company of Marlborough, MA (later acquired by Rohm and Haas). It was an enterprise quality management system that maintained QC specifications for over ten thousand part numbers and managed the data entry of test results and created certificates of analyses for product shipments. Technical details of the project included:
- Developed using Visual Basic 5.0 and 6.0 with a SQL Server back end.
- A central unattended application automatically rendered and delivered certificates of analysis for every product shipment.
- The company could not ship product without this system functioning correctly.
- In the original implementation, warehouse pick lists were pulled from querying the MRP system (PRISM).
- This was later replaced with an interface to SAP using the Developer’s Toolkit. It retrieved the pick list from SAP in XML format, parsed the contents, and then rendered the certificate.
- The certificate was automatically routed to the appropriate location based upon dynamic customer profiles. They were printed to one of thirteen warehouses in North America and Europe, exported to PDF and emailed directly to the client, and/or exported to customer-specific XML formats and then uploaded via FTP.
- Certificate results were wrapped into XML format and uploaded to SAP quality module via SAP Developer’s Toolkit via SOAP protocol.
- I also wrote a web service to respond to data warehouse requests for data. This service would retrieve results from the database in XML format and perform a bulk upload to the SQL Server data warehouse using XSLFO.
- An external web portal was written for Shipley customers to log in and download certificates online. Security authentication was retrieved from a Lotus Domino server via SOAP protocol.
VB/ASP consulting contract in May, 2001
Developed web-based advertising reservation system for Compaq’s inform Internet magazine using Visual Basic Web Classes, COM objects, Microsoft Transaction Server (MTS), and Active Server Pages (ASP) with a Microsoft SQL Server database back end. Several management reports were developed using Crystal Reports Web Server. Members of the Compaq Solutions Alliance (CSA) program could request advertising space online for upcoming issues, and specify the size, location, and content of their ads.
QMS is a comprehensive data management system that allows water and wastewater utilities to schedule, collect, manage, integrate, and report on their operational and compliance data. Its ease of use, powerful features, and enterprise architecture deliver benefits to any organization – small or large.
QMS was initially developed in VB6 with a SQL Server back end. The application is currently being converted to .NET using the interop toolkit.